Guiding BeliefsAt GoToKnow™, we believe that:
- Our users are the sole owners of their genetic information, and have the sole right to determine how that information is used.
- People should have direct, affordable access to information about their genetics and their health.
- When people better understand the links between genes, health and wellness, they can make educated, proactive choices about their future.
- People should be in control of how their genetic information is used.
Information That We CollectWe may collect all or any of the following information in the course of providing the Services (collectively, “User Information”):
- “Genetic Information” is all of the genetic information that can be derived from the biological sample that you provide us for analysis in connection with the Services (the “Sample”).
- “Personal Information”, which you provide us when registering for or using the Apps or Services, such as your name, billing and shipping addresses, email address, phone number, date of birth, user ID and password, and payment information.
- “Usage Information”, such as the browser name, the type of computer or device a User is using, technical information about a User’s means of connecting to our Apps, such as the operating system and the Internet or mobile service providers utilized, and other similar information.
- “User-Generated Content”, which includes all information generated by a User and shared with GoToKnow™, either privately or through public forums, on the Apps, such as messages, photos, audio, video, texts, data and other visual or audio content, as well as email addresses of those with whom you share your Genetic Information through the Apps.
- “Voluntarily-Provided Information”, which is information voluntarily provided by Users in response to surveys, polls and similar forms through which information may be requested on or through the Apps (other than Personal Information and User-Generated Content). To the extent that any of this information includes information concerning family members, by providing such information to us, you are representing that you are permitted to do so.
Ability for Users to Share Genetic Information with Third PartiesSharing Genetic Information with Third Parties. The Apps offer you the ability to share Genetic Information by email, posting to social media and other websites, and by printing the information and sharing a hard copy. As examples, you may choose to share your Genetic Information with third parties such as family, friends, doctors, healthcare professionals, other service providers, and other persons, or social networks (collectively, “Third Parties”). You may share your Genetic Information at your discretion. If you desire to share Genetic Information with another person by email, we will ask for that person’s email address. We will use the email address to share your Genetic Information. By choosing to share information with another person by email, you confirm that the person has given you consent for GoToKnow™ to communicate with him or her. If you share Genetic Information with Third Parties via websites, such as social media sites, such sites may collect your IP address and other information, and your use of such sites, including the sharing of your Genetic Information on these sites, will be governed by the policies of the sites on which this information is shared. If you share your Genetic Information, or that of a minor, with Third Parties, we will not be able to take measures to ensure that such information is not shared going forward by those Third Parties or persons who have access to sites on which information is shared with Third Parties, or to restrict in any way how it may be used or disclosed. We will not have any liability to you related to or arising out of your decision to share your Genetic Information, or that of a minor, with Third Parties. NEITHER GOTOKNOW NOR ITS AFFILIATES OR PARTNERS WILL HAVE ANY LIABILITY TO YOU OR A MINOR ON WHOSE BEHALF YOU AUTHORIZE THE SHARING OF USER INFORMATION, RELATED TO OR ARISING OUT OF THE SHARING OF YOUR, OR A MINOR’S, USER INFORMATION WITH GOTOKNOW OR ANY THIRD PARTIES, OR THE USE OF SUCH USER INFORMATION IN ACCORDANCE WITH THIS POLICY.
Information of Minor ChildrenA parent, guardian or other authorized representative may collect a Sample from, create an account for, and provide information related to, a child who is a minor. The parent, guardian or representative assumes full responsibility for ensuring that the information that he or she provides to GoToKnow™ or its affiliates about the minor child is kept secure and that the information submitted is accurate. The Apps and Services are not directed to or structured to attract users under 13 years of age. If you are under 13 years of age, do not use the Apps or Services and do not send information to GoToKnow™.
How we Protect User InformationWe adopt data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction of User Information and data stored on our Apps. Commercial transactions occurring on the Apps are processed over a SSL secured communication channel. User Information may be stored in United States and/or in foreign countries. Ultimately, the requirements of governments other than those of the United States may apply to User Information.
Third Party WebsitesUsers may find advertising or other content on our Apps that link to the sites and services of our partners, suppliers, advertisers, sponsors, licensors and other third parties. We do not control the content or links that appear on these sites and are not responsible for the practices employed by websites linked to or from our Apps. In addition, these sites or services, including their content and links, may be constantly changing. These sites and services may have their own privacy policies and customer service policies. Browsing and interaction on any other website, including websites which have a link to our Apps, is subject to that website’s own terms and policies. With respect to links from the Apps to our other websites (including other GoToKnow™ websites), please refer to the privacy policies on those websites.
Referral Information and GiftsWhen you refer a person to GoToKnow™ by email, or purchase the Services as a gift for another person, we may ask for that person’s email address. We (either directly or through vendors who administer such programs) will use the email address to make the referral or, as applicable, notify the person of the gift, and we will let the person know that you provided the referral or purchased the gift. By participating in a referral program, or purchasing a gift for such person, you confirm that the person has given you consent for GoToKnow™ to communicate with him or her regarding the referral or the gift, as applicable. If you use a third-party site, such as Facebook or Twitter, to post a referral, then we may also collect information on that site, such as your profile picture, gender, username, user ID, age, language, country, network or friend lists or lists of followers) depending on your privacy settings on the applicable third-party site.
Termination of User AccountIf you no longer wish to receive the Services, you may terminate your account by sending a request to email@example.com. We will remove all of your Genetic Information from the Apps within 30 days of our receipt of your request. To the extent provided above, however, any Genetic Information or Personal Information will be available for use on an ongoing basis following removal of your Genetic Information from the Apps. GoToKnow™ and its affiliates may also retain your Genetic Information as required by law or internal data retention policies. We will also retain Personal Information for internal reporting and compliance purposes, and as otherwise required by law.
Additional Information for California ResidentsCalifornia residents should consult our CCPA Policy for additional information.